February 09, 2010

Celebrating Mrs. Zimmermann

Flipping  this over:


Into This:


Halfway into Elizabeth Zimmermann's famous Baby Surprise Jacket, I decided that the only value in the exercise was experiencing the weird and wonderful construction that Elizabeth devised many years ago, and to marvel at the way her mind worked. Three quarters of the way through, I nearly abandoned it as a mediocre (at best) little garment. Now that it has been completed, turned,  flipped, and smoothed into place with the buttons added, I must say that I understand now why, on Ravelry, knitters frequently comment that they can hardly wait to start another. It is cute.As per the KnitWiki website for the BSJ, I made full length sleeves with K1tbl, P1 ribbing

Pattern: Baby Surprise Jacket
Designer: Elizabeth Zimmermann (Schoolhouse Press)
Yarn: Schachenmayr Nomotta Extra Big Merino
Needles: 5.0 mm for sweater; 4.5 mm. for sleeve ribbing

No comments: