March 10, 2012

Quirky Finds

I dislike shopping. It is usually a tiresome journey through a retail land where nothing is as you see it in your mind's eye. But sometimes - rarely - there is a find that is unexpected and totally unrelated to the original reason for setting out! We bought a clock today for the room below stairs. It is a large clock. It is about 32 inches by 32 inches (81.2 cm). The style defies labelling - rustic French? rustic American wanna-be-French?? But I like it. It will fill a good size space on the wall. It brings in my beloved turquoise. And it is practical. It tells the time. With very large hands.


We also found a marvelous bistro in Mahone Bay today - Cafe Mateus. The chef is Cordon Bleu trained. The prices are more than reasonable. And the food is the sort that is so good, it makes you reluctant to put anything else in your mouth for the rest of the day for fear of losing the exquisite taste lingering on your palate. I had an Asian coleslaw on a bed of very green lettuce, topped with on-site smoked chicken, mint, cilantro and a delicate Asian dressing.

And I bought wool. No knitter can visit Mahone Bay without stopping in at Have A Yarn, one of the best yarn shops in eastern Canada. They sell Jamison's Shetland Spindrift now - as if we needed another reason for shopping there! Heather has knit and displayed a couple of Fair Isle tams that are simply gorgeous. Despite the fact that I am the older, I sometimes catch myself hoping that I will knit as well as Heather when I grow up.


No comments: