February 26, 2009

The Yarn Whisperer



I've had this sock yarn tucked away for over a year. Adam and Isabelle ordered it for me last Christmas. From time to time, I have taken it out and started a pattern only to frog it back. The yarn was designed to knit up in thin stripes that didn't do enough justice to the pretty combination of colours. And here's the thing that sock knitters know and why Movita jokes and calls me the yarn whisperer: It's not enough to knit a sock. The colour and the texture of the yarn should marry brilliantly with the style of the pattern to highlight both. And sometimes it takes either a lot of trial runs or a sudden flash of inspiration.
Inside every ball of yarn is just the right sock waiting to get out!
Pattern: Show-Off Stranded Socks
Designer: Anne Campbell
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock Multi
Colorway: Glenwood
Needles: 2.25 mm. circular

3 comments:

movita said...

When Daddy Beaucoup and I called you the Yarn Whisperer, it wasn't a compliment.

Anonymous said...

I know. I know.

Anonymous said...

... frog it back?

I suspect this is a highly technical textile craftperson's term, but it sounds like what my cat used to do in the middle of the night with hairballs.