March 31, 2014

Fair Isle Frustration And The Never Ending Winter

 
Last week, we had a blizzard. Yesterday morning, we woke to find everything outside covered in a layer of ice - trees, shrubs, bushes, railings, etc. And although it had the look of a fairy land, it made for slippery surfaces underfoot. We still have freezing rain warnings in place for the next day or so. This winter simply will not end.
 
 
Pattern: Mitten 16
Yarn: Brown Sheep Nature Spun Sport
Colours: 601 (pepper); 730 (natural); 135 (hurricane seas)
Yarn: Sandnes Garn Tove  - Colour 4517
Needles: Circular - 2.25 mm (cuff) and 2.50 mm
 
I love Fair Isle and all other kinds of stranded knitting. Always have. Always will. I read endlessly about it and have some great books in my knitting library. But, unfortunately, I have read and mooned over patterns more than I have actually knit! Practise makes perfect and I have not done enough to perfect my technique. In fact, I am dismayed at how poorly I am managing since the last time I made mittens a couple of years ago.
 
However, I am determined to improve. I am still clumsy holding the yarn in both hands and I am not pleased with my tension. My plan is to work non-stop on a few pair of mittens for next winter and hope my knitting improves enough in the process to move on to other things - for instance, a sock pattern like Water for the elephants , and a pullover.
 
I am going to attend a day long class in Fair Isle Knitting around the end of April at Have A Yarn in Mahone Bay. Heather Tunnah, who will be teaching the class, has made the most beautiful vest, which inspires me every time I see it.
 
 
 
 




 

No comments: