February 27, 2014

A Basic Turtleneck, Fresh Snowfall, and Some Great Containers

Pattern: Basic Sweater
Designer: Louisa Harding
Yarn: Koala by Textiles de la Marque
Colour: ? (Tag reads "Lot No. 1) It is a soft taupe.
Needles: Circular 4.0 mm and 3.75 mm



This is the first adult sweater I have knit in decades. It knit up quite quickly but I procrastinated on sewing it together. I don't think many knitters really enjoy that process. I can do a crackerjack job of using the mattress stitch to sew side seams, rendering them all but invisible, but I am afraid I made a bit of a dog's dinner of the underarm seams. I redid them several times before concluding that they just were not going to get any better. Oh, well,  how often do I raise my arms up to the heavens?

I am not at all familiar with the Koala yarn so I don't know how well it will hold up. It is very soft, with very little spring or elasticity so I am hoping the ribbing will hold its shape over time. The yarn drapes well. I purchased it in France at a very unique and interesting store in Lille (La Lainière de Wazemmes), recommended by Isa, and there is very little information on the label (aside from the fact that it is a blend of wool, silk, rayon, and cashmere) and I can find nothing about it on line.

 
 
 
 
 
Winter continues to be unusually snowy and cold. The backyard was beautiful very early this morning after a fresh snowfall. The sun was just coming up over the trees.


A little later in the morning...




And here are some great containers I got for Christmas:

 
This Namaste Circular Needle Case was purchased at Have A Yarn in Mahone Bay.

 
It has accordion sections for storing circular knitting needles - such a neat, portable, and attractive way to keep them.

 
My other favourite new containers are an insulated mug with a cable knit design (!) and a beautiful box for storing treasures.


No comments: