November 29, 2012

Contemporary Wreath

Although my first love is always the traditional Christmas wreath of balsam fir from Nova Scotia forests, I thought I would try my hand this year at putting together a more contemporary design.
It is still a work in progress as I haven't quite mastered the art of nicely finishing off the mesh tails!

 
The mesh is easy to work with and available in a multitude of colors and shades. And it can be used both inside the house and outdoors. A wreath made with gold mesh and silver mesh with gold and silver ornaments would be striking!
My mesh loops are attached with pipe cleaners to a double ringed wire frame. There are dozens and dozens of possible combinations of colors and ornamentation. I got the mesh at Oceanview Garden Centre in the Chester area and one of the staff members there showed me a number of ways to decorate the wreath. I chose the white mesh as I thought it would show up well against the charcoal door and the green because it would complement the creamy yellow color of the house.
 
 
 
As I was putting it together, I thought how much fun Lucy and Apolline would have making wreaths, big or small, for Easter, Valentine's Day, Christmas - even birthdays! Their little hands would need a bit of help here and there to carry out their own design and colour ideas. I have seen instructional videos using styrofoam wreath frames with either pins or ribbons to attach the mesh. So as long as the wire mesh is available, there are a number of different ways to go about constructing the wreath.
 
 
And on the back deck, a more traditional arrangement with the red osier dogwood, chamaecyparis (nootkatensis and plumosa), and pine from our own garden.

No comments: