December 02, 2010

Japanese Yarn For Canadian Winters


Pattern: Ann Budd's Basic Mitten Pattern
Source: The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns
Size: Ladies Medium
Yarn: Noro Silk Garden Lite
Color: 2026
Needles: dpn's - 2.75 mm

It seems to me that knitters have strong love/hate relationships with many of the Noro yarns, manufactured in Japan. Everyone loves the colors. The yarns come in such a wide variety of shades that gently blend, one into the other. And when Brooklyn Tweed made his Noro Striped Scarf by alternating different color skeins and really showing off the fiber to its best advantage, the company must have sold miles and miles of the stuff! 
But there are also many complaints that the yarn is too rustic, comes with too many knots and debris, breaks easily while knitting, etc. I wanted to experience it for myself and purchased enough to make a scarf but after trying a variety of patterns, I decided that this particular color really wanted to be made into mittens. I made no attempt to unwind the second ball to find a starting point so that the color sequence in both mittens was the same. I just let it do its thing. I did come upon one knot in the two balls so it was not troublesome in that regard and it is a blend of 45% silk, 45% mohair, and 10% lambswool so there should be a good degree of warmth and insulation for cold weather.

No comments: