March 16, 2010

From The Yarn Drawer


Pattern In Progress: Garter Yoke Cardi (math redone to accomodate fingering weight yarn)
The Yarn:
 Lucy Neatby's Celestial Merino in Aquarius  (yoke, sleeves and button bands)
 Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in  Natural  (body)
Recipient: A September Baby

When I went back to knitting after an absence of many decades, I was a like the proverbial kid in a candy store. There were so many new and wondeful fibers available and, with the Internet, so many sources of supplies, patterns, advice, and information. 
Having lost two sisters well before they should have been called upon to cross that silent sea, I've always been overly conscious of the fact that time is not an limitless resource, and I embraced my love of color and texture again with great enthusiasm. I plunged pell mell into the world of knitting with a desire to experience everything and make up for time lost. (From the size of most yarn stashes on Ravelry, I realize I am not alone in this approach to needlework!)  I bought  lovely yarn in beautiful colors but perhaps not always the best yarn for the projects I had in mind at the time or for the skill and knowledge level I possessed at that point.
So, three years later, that much older and wiser, I have declared 2010 the year of the yarn drawer! I am making a concerted effort to go back to those balls of colorful candy and find clever and imaginative ways to put them to good use.
My only major yarn purchase this year is going to be enough Jamieson's Shetland yarn to make an adult sweater. Most appropriate for a resident of New Scotland.

No comments: