June 11, 2008

Woodland Rich

I so clearly remember walking this acre of woodland for the first time and finding it hard to believe that it could actually be ours. Almost everyone in the world would like to live on or around water and, while oceans and lakes are mesmerizing, (I would give my eye teeth to have a home in Ronce les Bain!), woodlands have always seemed magical to me - perhaps because the summers of my formative years were spent at a cottage in the Nova Scotia woods. They are places that invite quiet exploration. There are always hidden surprises in nooks and crannies. They are wonderful for birdwatching, and growing gardens that respect the natural beauty of the land.


Several woodpeckers have discovered our peanut feeder this year and they are constantly eating from it. They don't mind at all if I garden within a few feet of them. Unfortunately, this one turned just as I snapped the photo so you can't see the striking black and white feathers.


There is a hidden spot tucked away in the woodland in front of the house where every year, two or three ladyslippers emerge from forest floor. They are exquisite.


The rhododendrons on the property are all coming into bloom this week. The most unusual in the collection is Percy Wiseman with flowers in soft shades of coral and peach.


I ordered a tree peony from Vesey's on Prince Edward Island a few years ago and although the bush itself is still not overly large (about a meter and a half high and a meter wide), it produces enormous blooms the size of bread and butter plates every June.

No comments: