November 12, 2013

The Last of the Autumn Browns

 
 
 
Pattern: K3P1 ribbing
Yarn: Fortissima Socka
Colour: 1083
Needles: Circular - 2.25 mm
 
And in Christmas preparations:
 
 Tourtière
 
 
I have been using the same pie crust recipe for decades.  It is called Nun's Pastry because it was taught in a cooking course at a Montreal cooking school run by nuns. It uses lard, not shortening, and it is no fail. It always rolls out beautifully and always makes a perfect, tender pie crust.
 
 

This recipe appeared in a 1970's Canadian Living Magazine special Christmas recipe edition.
The ground pork filling is aromatic with ingredients like summer savory, onions, garlic, and cloves.

 
I normally don't use an egg glaze on my pastry but it somehow suits a meat pie.
 
 
I love the silicone pie rim. No more burnt edges on an otherwise lovely crust!
 
 
And voilà!
Traditional French Canadian Tourtière for Christmas.


 

 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

movita beaucoup said...

The other day Derek pointed to a silicone pie ring in a magazine and told me I should get one. When I told him that you gave me one last year HE ROLLED HIS EYES AND COMPLAINED YET AGAIN ABOUT OUR PIE-FREE EXISTENCE.

Thank goodness you've made him tourtière.