December 30, 2009

New Year's Traditions


Last year, Isabelle explained to us how, in France, little tokens or treats are put at each place setting on the New Year's table. The French, I think, give far more consideration to the concept of the new year than we do in North America, where it seems to be associated more with a party the night before and a big meal on the actual day. The French take more care to wish each other well and look ahead with hope. In today's mail, we received a New Year's card from Sophie and Jean Paul in Ronce. Sophie describes it as a "very French" card and I think it is utterly charming. While having a grandchild on another continent is brutally hard to deal with, our lives have been enriched by this French connection.

2 comments:

movita said...

Dear Hagley and Adopamop,

The flower bowl to the LEFT of the card is mine. I will put a sticker on it.

Sincerely,
movita

Rosie Beaucoup said...

I rest my case.