October 20, 2009

Space to Spread Out


All Christmas surface mail to France has to be mailed in October so it is time to get out the brown paper, stamps, paints, and stencils. Lucky Rachael, who, like Martha Stewart, has an upstairs room (albeit small) soley dedicated to this type of activity. I am constantly getting supplies from upstairs closets, downstairs basement storage units, main floor trunks, etc. In another life, I would like a clean, bright laundry room and a separate, well lit area with a table and craft supply storage. But then I think of the billions of people world wide, especially in urban areas, who live in very small spaces. UN- Habitat predicts that within two decades, 60% of the world's population will live in urban areas and the percentage rises to 70% by the year 2050. I am therefore grateful to have this not overly large house and an acre of woodland garden. And with the luxury of clean air and the beauty of the changing seasons so evident from every window, I feel a certain responsibililty to preserve and care for the natural surroundings. I hope the next people who live here will feel the same way.

No comments: