December 05, 2008

Guess Who Came For Lunch Today


I was at the kitchen sink this afternoon when I spied through the trees in the upper yard what appeared to be the rear end of a white pony. A pony? In our woods? Then a hint of what appeared to be a second - pony??? Two renegade Great Danes??? Deer in Nova Scotia are white tailed deer. The body color is brown. Typically, one can spot the large upright, white tail and look closer to see where the rest of the deer is actually situated in the trees and undergrowth. One does not typically see a entire white hind end! I raced for my camera and softly made my way across the back deck, along the lower pathway, and up over the upper lawn where the two albino deer watched me warily but allowed me to take a series of photos.
Here is a link to a website that gives more information on these rare creatures:
http://www.buckmanager.com/2008/01/07/all-about-albino-white-tailed-deer/

No comments: